*** March 1st - deadline for all exemptions ***


STAR Program (School Tax Assessment Relief) – New Homeowner or First Time Applying

The STAR Exemption is closed to NEW applicants. If you are a new applicant you may receive the same benefit in the form of a check under the STAR Credit Program. Beginning in 2016, any homeowner who is applying for the first time or is a new home owner will be required to register with the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance by calling 518-457-2036 or online at www.tax.ny.gov/star. You will no longer file your application with the Assessor’s Office.

Please control/click on the following link for more information on the STAR program.

NYS STAR handout

Senior Exemptions

There are two exemptions available for Senior’s that you may apply for in the year you are turning 65. The Senior Citizens Exemption, or AGED and the STAR Program for Senior’s, called Enhanced STAR. These two exemptions are for property owners whose house in the Town of East Greenbush is their principal place of residency. 

The Senior Citizen Exemption (AGED) is available to homeowners who are 65 years of age or older and meet certain income limitations and requirements. The Total Household Gross Income must be no greater than $37,400. If you qualify for this exemption, you must provide us with the previous year's tax return or the supporting documentation for the tax return. This exemption does not automatically renew. A letter outlining requirements, along with renewal forms, are mailed to current participants each Fall. You MUST submit ALL renewal paperwork each year by March 1st.

Forms are available from the Assessor's Office or download from the following links:

The Enhanced STAR Exemption (also known as Senior STAR) is available to homeowners who are 65 years or older and meet income limitations and requirements. For jointly owned property, only one spouse or sibling must be at least 65 by December 31 of the year when the exemption will begin. The income is defined as Federal Adjusted Gross Income and varies from year to year. To qualify for this exemption you need to provide us with the previous year’s tax return.

All Enhanced STAR property owners are required to participate in the Income Verification Program (IVP). In the first year, the assessor will verify eligibility based on the previous year's income information supplied by homeowners when applying.

In the following years, the NYS Tax Department will verify income eligibility, and homeowners will NOT need to reapply or provide copies of their tax returns to the assessor. The NYS Tax Department will contact you directly if any additional information is needed.

Already enrolled in the Income Verification Program? If so, you don’t need to take any action to continue. The NYS Tax Department will contact you if any additional information is needed.

Turning 65 in 2023? If you had the Basic STAR Exemption in previous years (on your current owner occupied property) and will turn 65 before December 31, 2023, you can apply for the Enhanced STAR for 2023 with the Assessor’s office. Income limit is based on the 2021 Federal Adjusted Gross Income of $93,200 or less. We require a completed/signed application form, completed/signed IVP form (Income Verification Program), a copy of your 2021 tax return and proof of age and residency (i.e. driver's license). Reminder: March 1st is the deadline to submit paperwork.

Forms are available from the Assessor’s Office or download from the following links:

Forms and Information for other Property Tax Exemptions are available at www.tax.ny.gov

Some frequently referenced exemptions include:

Can I get a Veteran’s Exemption if I was not in combat?

Yes. Exemptions are available for non-combat and for Cold War Veterans. Exemptions also cover the widow/widower of a qualified veteran, if they remain unmarried. When applying, please bring the following information with you:

  • a first-time applicant will need to provide a Department of Defense DD Form 214, certified by the County Recorder, Recorder of Deeds, or Department of Veterans’ Affairs and a Disability Certification Letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans’ Affairs, and
  • a surviving spouse applying for the first time or transferring the exemption to a new address will need to provide the disabled veteran’s death certificate and proof of ownership

If you have questions, please call the Assessor’s Office.

Can I have an exemption on more than one property?

Exemptions are given on the owner’s Primary Residence.

How can I prove my residency?

Residency can be proven by a valid Driver’s License, Car Registration, Voter’s Registration, tax return or certain utility bills.

Can I get a copy of my deed?

In most cases we have a copy of your deed. There is no charge for a copy.

Do I have to renew my exemptions every year?

Some exemptions do need to be renewed annually. We send out renewal applications for these allowing plenty of time for you to file by March 1.

Is the STAR exemption still available?

The STAR Exemption is closed to NEW applicants. If you are a new applicant, you may receive the same benefit in the form of a check under the STAR Credit Program. For more information please visit: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star