East Greenbush Town Historian
Roberta “Bobbie” Reno
Office Hours: Tuesdays 8:30 am – 4:30 pm (Lunch 1-2PM)
The Town of East Greenbush has a lot of history. The Town of East Greenbush was incorporated in 1855. The name Greenbush comes from the Dutch words “Greenen Bos” meaning “pine woods”.
Bobbie has done programs at schools, senior residences and civil organizations on topics such as:
- Edmonia Lewis: An Artist of Determination and Courage about a famous late 19th century sculptor who it is believed lived in Greenbush in the mid 1800’s.
- The Story of Betsy Doyle A woman, who during the War of 1812 walked in the winter from Fort Niagara to the Greenbush Cantonment.
- An Injustice at Greenbush Cantonment, The Execution of Pvt. Samual Helms, War of 1812 about a soldier wrongfully charged with desertion and illegally tried and executed in the Fall of 1813 at the Greenbush Cantonment. View the 'An Injustice at Greenbush Cantonment' Presentation.
- History of Hampton Manor: The Past to the Present.View the 'History of Hampton Manor' Presentation.
Bobbie is currently working on programs to offer education of Mohican culture on Papscanee Island.
Bobbie is also currently working on a program of Historic Route 20 with historians from Massachusetts.