Notice: Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, the East Greenbush Justice Court will not be in regular session. All matters will be adjuourned until further notice, this includes fines due.  Upon resumption of the regular court sessions, you will be notified by the court of your appearance date. If you have a scheduled appearance or have a fine due, you will not be penalized. If you have any questions you may contact the court at (518) 477-5412 and we will return your call as soon as possible. We thank you for your cooperation in this effor to prevent the spread of COVID-19 to others in the community.

Updated: 4/27/2020


Additional information may be found by visiting

When is my court date?

Due to COVID-19 and safety measures, as of April 20, 2020, all court proceedings have been postponed until a date on or after May 30, 2020. This includes all criminal, traffic, small claims, civil and landlord/tenant matters. Once the Court is open for normal business hours, the court will send a letter with a new court date.

How do I make a payment?

Please note that payments will not be processed until the court reopens.


My license is suspended, what do I have to do to lift the suspension?

If your license was suspended prior to March 16,2020, unfortunately with the Court system closed and the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles being closed, there is nothing that can be done until all offices return for normal business.

If your license was going to be suspended sometime after March 16,2020, the NYS DMV has given notice that the pending scofflaw transaction will be closed but eligible for future suspension(s).

Will I be penalized for missing my court date?

No. All Court proceedings since March 16,2020 have been postponed until a date on or after May 30, 2020. If you were given a notice to appear during that time frame, or an appearance ticket, the Court will send you a letter with new court date once the Court Office is open for regular business.

I received a ticket in East Greenbush, what do I do now?

You can return the ticket VIA USPS with a plea of guilty or not guilty. Please note that your plea will not be processed until the Court returns for regular business. This also means that the court will not contact you with a fine or a court date until sometime after May 30,2020.

I received a ticket in East Greenbush, but I lost it, what do I do now?

You can contact the court at 518-477-5412. Leave a very detailed message that includes your name and DOB, when you received the ticket and where. The court will send you a notice to enter a plea of guilty or not guilty once the court is open for regular business. Again you will not be penalized if you did not return your ticket by the date is was due.

Can I still file a Small Claim?

Small Claim applications can be found on the webpage under the Justice Court Department. At this time, the East Greenbush Town Hall is closed to the public due to COVID-19. You will NOT be able to file a small claim until the Town Hall and Court office open for regular business.


Hon. Kevin J. Engel

Hon. Jessica B. Mocerine


East Greenbush Town Court
225 Columbia Turnpike
Rensselaer, NY 12144

Phone: (518) 477-5412
Fax: (518) 477-6539


Monday - Friday
8:30AM - 4:30PM

Additional Links:

Credit Card Form

Request for Certificate of Disposition

Small Claims Application

Duties of the Justice Court

The East Greenbush Justice Court represents the Judicial Branch of the local government. The Court handles criminal cases, traffic infractions, civil matters, small claims ($3,000 or less), evictions, town ordinances violations, environmental conservation and agriculture and market laws.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I handle a Traffic Ticket?

Answer your ticket(s) by mail before the summons date. You do not have to come into court unless your ticket is a misdemeanor charge. Enter your plea of guilty or not guilty in the appropriate box and mail it back to the East Greenbush Town Court. If your plea is Not-Guilty you will receive a notice with your Pre-Trial Conference date. If your plea is Guilty you will receive a fine notice with the amount to pay. Acceptable forms of payment are Certified Checks, Money Orders, Cash, Visa or MasterCard. Absolutely NO PERSONAL CHECKS ACCEPTED.

Suspension Notices: What to do?

You must answer your New York State Department of Motor Vehicles notice before the suspension date listed on the notice. Failure to do so will require a suspension lift fee of $70.00 in addition to any fines due. This fee is mandated by the State of New York.

Small Claims Actions

Claims can be filed for $3,000 or less. The defendant must reside in or have a place of business in the jurisdiction of the Town of East Greenbush. Claims must be filed in person with the Court Clerk during normal business hours.

Who can file a small claim?

1.) Anyone over 18 years of age can bring an action in Small Claims Court.

2.) If you choose, you may be represented by an attorney at your own expense, however, it is not necessary to have an attorney since Small Claims Court is meant to be a “people’s court” where claims may be tried speedily, informally and inexpensively.

What are the Filing Fees for Small Claims?

$10.00 for claims up to $1,000

$15.00 for claims from $1,001 up to $3,000

Fees are payable when filed

What are the Eviction Filing Fees?


In the case of evictions you should contact the court for proper procedures and information you may need.

What are the Directions to the Justice Court?

Directions coming soon!