The Department of Public Works is comprised of four main divisions: Highway, Water, Sanitation, and Parks. It’s dedicated work force operates and maintains the town’s 73.98 miles of highways, four sewer districts, two water districts, a solid waste facility, town buildings, and town parks (including Hampton Manor Lake)

Snow Emergencies: Whenever a snow emergency is declared, parking is prohibited on any public road. 

Hydrant Flushing: Town Hydrants are flushed during the latter parts of April and October. For a schedule of a particular area to be flushed, dates will be published in the local newspapers. For more information, call: 477-9367, or the Department for Public Works at 518-477-6103.

The Water Department will be flushing hydrants throughout Hampton Manor the fourth week of each month on Wednesday or Thursday depending on weather and project schedules.

Fall Cleanup 2023: October 23 & 30, November 6 & 13
Amnesty Week 2022: TBD.
Christmas Tree Pickup 2023: TBD

Helpful Links:
Public Works Projects - Major projects throughout East Greenbush, including annual paving information.
General Highway Information - Information of Identifying County, State and Town Roads. 
Winter Operations - Includes information about winter road safety and plowing.

Thank you,

Dan Fiacco
Commissioner of Public Works


Dan Fiacco
Commissioner of Public Works
Phone: 518-477-7296
Fax: 518-477-5021

Meaghan Hart
Deputy Commissioner of Public Work
Phone: 518-477-7296
Fax: 518-477-5021

For emergencies during NON business hours, call the town Police at 479-1212.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does the Town own and maintain all streets in East Greenbush?

No, some roads are still privately owned.

If my property is damaged by the Town, who do I call?

Please contact the Department of Public Works at 518-477-7296 so a work order can be created.  Once the work order is written, it is given the appropriate department foreman. A list of repairs and requests then becomes generated and assigned to the DPW employees to complete. 

The snow plow did some damage to my yard, who do I call?

Please contact the Department of Public Works at 518-477-7296 so a work order can be created.  Work orders are addressed in order of priority.

The snow plow hit my mailbox. What do I do?

Please contact the Department of Public Works at 518-477-7296 so a work order can be created.  Work orders are addressed in order of priority.

Who is responsible for the snow removal on sidewalks?

The Town is responsible for maintaining certain sidewalks throughout Town. Primarily newly constructed sidewalks along 9&20, the sidewalks between Couse Corners and Columbia High School.  

Residents are responsible for maintaining and snow removal on the sidewalks on their property. 

Does the Town have a dump site for grass clippings, leaves or branches?

Yes, residents can bring leaf bags and brush to the Transfer Station. These items should be in 4’ tied bundles or biodegradable leaf bags. Proof of Residency is required for brush.

Does the Town pick up brush/yard trimmings placed at the curb?

Yes, we only do so in the spring and fall. Specific dates are posted on the town website under Transfer Station tab and in the Advertiser. All other lawn debris is the responsibility of the owner.

Fall Cleanup 2021: October 25th, November 1st, November 8th, and November 15th
Amnesty Week 2021: December 6th through 10
Christmas Tree Pickup 2022: TBD

I have a drainage problem on my property, who should I contact first?

Call the Department of Public Works at 518-477-6103. The DPW will assess the issue to determine who is reponsible for the repair.

Can I empty sump pump discharge into the sanitary sewer?

No discharging of sump pumps is permitted into the sanitary sewer.

I have a question about my water and sewer bill, who should I call?

Question regarding Water & Sewer bills should call the Water and Sewer Billing Office at 518-477-9367.

Is my home connected to the Town’s sewer?

Not all homes are connected. Please contact the Water and Sewer Department @ 518-477-9367

How can I find out what the water and sewer rates are?

Call the Water and Sewer Department @ 518-477-9367 or Water & Sewer Rates.

I would like to know how much it is to connect to water and sewer.

Call the Water and Sewer Department @ 477-9367 or Water & Sewer Fee Schedule.

What is the schedule for flushing the hydrants?

The hydrant flushing schedule will be posted on the website and in the Advertiser prior to flushing taking place.

Who do I call if I have a sanitary sewer backup or a storm sewer problem?

Please call the Department of Public Works upon discovering the issue at 518-477-6103. Upon assessing the problem, if the block is from the connection to your home, it will be your responsibility and you will have to contact a plumber.

The streetlight is out in front of my house. What do I do?

Prior to calling anyone regarding streetlights or pole issues, please make sure that you have the pole location (street address that its closest to), pole number, and if you can tell what company maintains the pole (is it a National Grid pole or phone company?)

You can call National Grid Directly at 1-800-642-4272 or you can call the non-emergency number for the Police Department 518-479-2525, again please make sure you have the above information prior to calling.

Who do I talk to about traffic light issues?

The EGPD @518-479-2525.

What, if any, are the upcoming construction projects?

The Town of East Greenbush utilizes The Empire State Bid Net sytem to post Town construction projects open to competitive bidding.  Please contact the Purchasing Clerk for a list of any current projects.

Questions related to new construction projects, building updates/upgrades please contact the Building Department at 518-477-6225.

Why are there little flags in my yard?

They mark out utilities for excavation purposes done by the utility companies. Always call before you dig – Dig Safety at 811.

What are the Transfer Station hours of operation?



THURSDAY 8:30 A.M. – 6:55 P.M.

SATURDAY 8:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.


How do I get rid of my old refrigerator and other appliances?

The Transfer Station accepts appliances for a fee if $19.00. See additional fees under the Transfer Station tab.

Additional Transfer Station information

Where do I call for the park information and rental?

Call the Department of Community and Recreation 477-4194

What are the park hours?

Park hours are 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.

What is the cost to rent a pavilion?

The Community and Recreations Department is responsible for rentals of The Red Barn, Upper Pavilion, Onderdonk Park Pavilion and Hampton Manor Lake House.  Rental reservations can be made on their platform - East Greenbush RecDesk or by calling their office directly 518-477-4194.

Please contact the Department of Public Works for any questions 518-477-7296.