Backflow Prevention Device Requirements
As part of the Town of East Greenbush Water Code, backflow preventers are required for all commercial and industrial water services. All fire lines must be protected by at least a double check valve assembly-type backflow preventer. The water department reserves the right to require backflow preventers on any water service, should the service in question result in any threat of contamination to the potable water system.
Backflow Applicant Instructions
*The Town will begin accepting applications for Backflow Prevention Devices on May 19, 2022*
The 45 day period for compliance will begin on May 19th.
Every backflow must go through an approval process prior to installation.
The backflow application form needed is DOH-347 and can be found on the NYS Department of Health website: Application - NYS DOH Form 347
*Applicants must follow the steps below to submit the application. Any questions can be directed to the Town of East Greenbush Water Department (518) 477-9367.
For a standard Double Check Valve Backflow Prevention Device:
- One (1) copy of the backflow application packet must be submitted to the Town of East Greenbush Water & Sewer Office with one (1) check made payable to "Town of East Greenbush" for Town review and approval in the amount of $100. Designs should be prepared by a Professional Engineer or Architect licensed by the State of New York.
For Reduced Pressure Principle Back Flow Prevention Device (RPZ)
- Two (2) copies of the backflow application packet must be submitted to the Town of East Greenbush Water & Sewer office with 2 checks:
- 1 check payable to “Town of East Greenbush” for Town review and approval in the amount of $100
- 1 check payable to “Rensselaer County Health Department” for review and approval in the amount of $250
- RPZ Applications must be prepared by a Professional Engineer or Architect licensed by the State of New York.
Copies of the backflow application packet must include:
- Project Plans with water entrance detail showing all clearances
- Specifications for the type of backflow devices that will be installed
- An engineer’s report describing the project in detail
- A separate application form (DOH-347) for each backflow device to be installed (no additional payment is needed for same project applications)
- Both copies will be reviewed, approved and signed by the Town of East Greenbush Commissioner of Public Works.
- Once the Town has approved the application, we will then forward all copies of the application packet with payment to Rensselaer County Department of Health for approval.
- Rensselaer County Department of Health will notify the owner in writing once they have approved the application.
- Once written approval has been received from Rensselaer County Department of Health, the backflow device can be installed as specified in the application approval letter.
- Once installed, the backflow device must be tested and a copy of the test report must be submitted to the Town of East Greenbush Water Department.
Note: As part of the Town Water Code, backflow devices must be tested annually by a NYS certified backflow tester and the test report must be submitted to the Water department. For a list of certified backflow testers please visit the NYS Department of Health website at https://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/water/drinking/cross/backflow_testers/